Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
Top Poster

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
Night 2 was mostly just ok except the main event match was hot, but the true main event was the compelling Jericho interview on Stone Cold’s show afterwards, where they talk about so much I’d ever thought would be allowed on WWE on Peacock.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:37 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
Biggest loser of WrestleMania 37? Titus O'Neil.
His face every time Hogan used the word “brother” :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

I thought for sure Titus was gonna snap and turn on Hogan. The crowd would have loved it. But apparently the plan all along was just showing the Hulkster with his “black friend.” Major mistake. I think people had mostly gotten past it, I know we cheered for Hogan at Mania 35, but putting him with Titus just reminded everybody of all the reasons we stopped being Hulkamaniacs in the first place.

Bayley should have been the only host.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:23 pm
100% That Bitch

Alexa stealing the fiend character for herself is iconique. Can wait for her to steamroll through the women's division and win the women's championship by Summerslam

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:16 pm
The Kramer

Billie Kay was released. :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

I really don’t get that one. She was doing so well on Smackdown. Honestly even more shocking than Rusev last year.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 pm
The Kramer

Peyton Royce and Samoa Joe too. Among many others. WTF!!! :disgust: :disgust: :disgust: :disgust: :mad: :mad: :| :mad: :mad:

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:50 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

This is just as bad as that mass release last year.

(Current) List:

Spoiler: show
Samoa Joe
Mickie James
Peyton Royce
Billie Kay
Chelsea Green
Wesley Blake
Tucker
Kalisto
Bo Dallas

The Iconics, really? Unless they were wanting out, then sure. But the company clearly needs women's tag teams. (I know they haven't been together in awhile, but they could have reunited them again.) And they've been doing surprisingly well (Billie more so) on their own.

Samoa Joe is really WTF, too. Again, unless it was a mutual thing, just why? Hard to believe he NEVER held a championship in WWE. All-around great talent, in and out of the ring.

Also want to mention Mickie James being released. This one was likely mutual, and it's not very impactful given their booking of her since she came back, but more so on what was the point of her entire (likely last) run here?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Apparently, the nine that were released was due to "budget cuts." But I read that WWE reported record profits last year, and they just had that big deal with Peacock. It just leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

In other news,

AEW had 1.22 million viewers yesterday. Likely helped by NXT moving to Tuesdays, but very impressive. Raw has been hovering around 1.5/1.6 million or so over the past several months. And the Raw after Mania barely got above 2 million this week.

I know WWE has been far beyond TV ratings for quite some time now, and if they would end up losing to/competing with AEW in the TV ratings it likely wouldn't change much, but *maybe* it'll promote a healthy competition to improve both companies.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

A billion dollar Peacock deal after the billion dollar Fox deal. Budget cuts my ass.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's clearly not, which makes it worse. There are varied reports of the base or typical salary of an average WWE performer, but it seems to be between $200,000 to $500,000 a year (low-end for the women). The big names of course earn more than that, but I doubt anyone here was.

Samoa Joe was the only one maybe making up to/more than $500,000 (maybe, I mean, he wasn't exactly given too many opportunities), so the combined annual salaries of the nine was likely no more than $3 million. And we know they don't offer health insurance or benefits and the like either.

So, yeah. Everyone knows it's not a budget issue.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Really enjoyed Mania, especially night 1. It had a great mix of classic singles matches like Cesaro Rollins but then also the "special attraction" like Bad Bunny killing it and the Shane Braun cage match, even matches that were ok like AJ/Omos match still had a special feel to them. I wasn't as big a fan of the Bianca Sasha match as some people honestly, I thought it was a fine babyface wins the title match, but it was still cool.

Night 2 is more mixed. Orton and the Fiend laid a giant turd to start it off, and then you had a lot of matches like Owens and Zayn and Sheamus and Riddle that were good but somewhat midcard/undercard-y for Wrestlemania. Asuka and Ripley was good but should've been earlier in the show. However the triple threat main event was a classic even if it got marred a bit by interference, so it's all good.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:12 am
New Server, Same X

It's so nice to have Shack finally caught up to us.

I have so many thoughts on Mania, RAW, AEW and those horrible cuts.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am
Devil's Advocate

Disappointed in Peyton release, I wanted them to try pushing her. Her and Billie will probably go to AEW now. Tucker is a guy that should be inspired by McIntyre and could come back with a new body and character in a few years. Samoa Joe I would guess asked for it or something or like Christian can only wrestle outside of WWE now. Sad he won't get to face heel Reigns.

Weak Raw after Wrestlemania. They already got people like Ripley and Priest ahead of time so hopefully the Smackdown is where the cool debuts happen. Also hopefully Retribution takes their masks off next week cause the suited up MVP and Lashley aligning with these mad max type guys would be stupid.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:59 pm
New Server, Same X

Wrestlemania thoughts:

-Night 1 I had zero expectations for and it ended up being the superior night personally. Minus the rain delay. The opener with Drew and Lashley was good, definitely an opener and not a closer. I'm glad Lashley retained, he should be champion until at least Summerslam to build him up as a solid top heel. My only disappointment is that Drew didn't get a big title win in front of a crowd. He carried RAW and WWE through the pandemic era.

-Cesaro and Rollins had a good match. But will WWE do anything with Cesaro? I feel like he could be a cut this time next year.

-Fun tag match with the debut of Omos. He's limited in the ring so wise to put him in a team with Styles.

-The worst feud of Mania had some of the best match moments in that steel cage. Braun tearing open the cage and throwing Shane off the top were excellent. Doesn't excuse the awful storytelling but a good win for Braun.

-Bad Bunny KILLED it in his debut. No celebrity needs to put in the time and effort that he did, but he did do it and it paid off. Celebs get pretty shitty crowd reactions (see Logan Paul the next night) but I'm glad the crowd recognized how much he wanted to be there and not just a boost to his career. Props to Miz and Morrison who can also make someone look even better.

-Excellent main event. Glad Banks and Belair had that main event, this was probably the most important women's match since Becky headlined Mania two years ago. The division has been suffering without her, but this was a good match and a good way to put over Belair. One of the few NXTers to make it.

-How could they absolutely kill it with The Fiend throughout the opening of the match and through the match and just... let it all die like that? I thought Bray Wyatt was telling a longterm story there and used Mania as a way to advance it, but the next night on RAW, I'm not so sure. I don't think The Fiend or Wyatt are DOA at all, and I don't think The Fiend should be without any losses, but it was a lackluster way to end their feud and the match. One RKO did it? Really? Cool visuals though. If that whole match went the exact same, except Randy RKO'd him and The Fiend jumped up and Sister Abigail'd him for the win, it would have been fine. Oh well.

-The women's tag team matches... meh. I like Shayna and Nia as a team, they play well off each other. Bonus points to Billie Kay and The Riott Squad on night 1, they were highlights, especially Morgan and Ruby. Too bad they inexplicably went with two heel teams for Night 2.

-Kevin and Sami may not have been the best match of the two nights, but this was probably the most fun for me. Two guys who've been doing this together for years, getting a shot on Wrestlemania. Really cool to see and wish both were bigger stars in the company. Props to Logan Paul for taking a stunner and selling it fairly well. He didn't have to agree to take it and look like the chump.

-The US/IC/Raw Women's title matches were all fine. Sheamus got a win, picked up a fairly meaningless title after being in contention for the WWE title. Glad they're giving Apollo Crews a shot. Hoping Big E will eventually move into a feud with Reigns. Not yet... but soon.

-Good main event. I really don't think Daniel Bryan expected to get the mixed reaction. It's disappointing because all three deserved better than what WWE did. They muddied the water with Edge, making him kind of a heel. They added Bryan as the babyface but no one wanted that. And Roman is a killer heel either way. I honestly expected more cheers for Roman, but he's playing the role so well, he got the right reaction.

Overall, a solid two nights. I'm more into the two night thing now. It's better than sitting through seven hours in one sitting. And nice seeing the fans again.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 pm
New Server, Same X

Other post-Mania thoughts:

-So they brought back Firefly Funhouse and now we'll have that and Alexa's Playground concurrently? Will they have them interact with each other any more? It felt like they are trying to move both away from each other, but that would be ridiculous. I'm assuming there's a long con at play here, but I also really, really hope WWE doesn't fuck up Bray Wyatt again after doing it the last time... and this time with Goldberg... and then having him immediately drop the title last year to Reigns... then lose to Orton in five minutes...

-I don't remember anything else from RAW except that the new guy on commentary is green and we're getting the expected Backlash main event of Lashley and Drew... oh sorry, Wrestlemania Backlash... that's not as catchy as they think.

-AEW was good on Wednesday and got a nice viewership boost without NXT. They're on a nice uptick lately, and I hope it continues. I also hope they give WWE a run for their money and that WWE has to get better again because of it.

-Those cuts are the drizzling shits. WWE fucked up Samoa Joe ever since his main roster callup. He even did well on commentary. Really disappointed because he deserved to be a top heel. He even had the demeanor to make a great face too. I hope AEW signs him.

-Disappointed for Billie Kay and Peyton Royce too. WWE fucked them royally by splitting them up, only to have them float through other tag teams. Billie Kay was a rare comedy act in WWE that was actually kind of funny. I'm never in favour of AEW just grabbing the rejects, but this is another duo I hope shows up in AEW. Maybe have Billie Kay play more of a manager role to Peyton.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:47 pm
Top Poster

Tony Schiavone looks so much like Derek Chauvin’s defense lawyer lol.

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Welp, Alexa already put the raw roster on notice

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

Ronda is pregnant. Maybe she could be at Wrestlemania in LA in 2023.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Do we expect better from WWE? We and they know they have no respect for their performers unless they're making them mega money. Then you have people online saying it's acceptable. Of course it's fucking acceptable. Wouldn't it be better to have something beyond acceptable, especially when you give so many years of your career to a company that couldn't be bothered to give you a proper spot on any of their three brands?

I know Vince must still be wallowing in Hart family sympathy because I have no idea why someone like Mickie James didn't have a spot similar to Natalya's. Natalya does nothing at this point except put people over and Mickie would have been great for that. And give her a proper storyline.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:15 am
New Server, Same X

So I've been making a point of watching RAW, NXT, AEW Dynamite and Smackdown the last few weeks. One thing that is painfully obvious: Vince McMahon has to be controlling RAW 100%. This week was just bad.

-I really don't want to blame Drew McIntyre because he has carried RAW through the "Pandemic Era". Braun is at least a decent version of his character at the moment, but it won't result in a WWE title run. And I would like more from Lashley.

-For the first time since the gimmick change, I'm actually worried for Bray. He hasn't been seen since the RAW after Mania. You're telling me they had Braun in three fucking matches on RAW and didn't have time for a Firefly Funhouse?

-I also don't know what's going on with Alexa. It's bizarre to me that they've split up Bray and Alexa and basically given her the gimmick sort of. She's killing it no matter what, but I don't want that at the expense of Bray or The Fiend.

-Speaking of where the hell are they... where the hell are AJ and Omos? Why are the tag team champions missing for three straight weeks?

RAW is just abysmal right now. I feel like I'm watching the same show every week now. And I know it's been like that for a while but it's only getting worse.

And why the fuck did they have Orton beat The Fiend in five minutes at Mania, to have him start RK-Bro with Riddle?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:13 pm
New Server, Same X

On the flip side, I've only been watching NXT for a few weeks and I'm digging what they're doing. I probably missed the best days but it's clear that Vince has little-to-no control over it. It feels completely separate from RAW or Smackdown.

And I've had positives and negatives for AEW but man... they know how to do weekly TV right now. Massive match for next Wednesday that WWE wouldn't dream of giving away for free. And they've been doing that quite a bit the last few months, including Omega's title win over Moxley. The Parlay sold next week beautifully. And I had more enjoyment watching Orange Cassidy's usual shtick than anything I saw in three hours on RAW.

I'm still not a Young Bucks fan. I feel like they try too hard to be heels. I don't think they have the look to back up the cocky gimmick like Omega.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm
New Server, Same X

Why were RAW and Smackdown so drastically different? Smackdown felt like someone was watching AEW. Good six-person tag to start, IC title match (with the ol DQ finish) and of course, the Universal Championship match. Great show overall and killer main-event.

Sat May 01, 2021 7:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

Finally Reigns wins without Jey Uso help. And gets a new theme song.

Sun May 02, 2021 3:37 pm
100% That Bitch

EVA MARIE IS BAAAAAACK FUCKING YAAAAAAS KWEEN

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon May 03, 2021 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 235  Next